September can be invigorating and challenging at the same time as we all start returning to a routine at school and work without the lure of sunshine to distract us. Life can be busy all around, and it can sometimes be hard to remember to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF during it all, so we've come up with a few suggestions for self love and care to add into your daily routine.
7 ways to practice self love and care everyday:
- Practice gratitude. Start your day by saying 5 things you are grateful for, perhaps even before you get out of bed. Write down at least 3. Each day your brain retains a pattern to look for the positive.
- Speak more loving words about/towards yourself. Look in the mirror and say 3 things you love about yourself, physically and/or mentally. You yourself deserve your love and affection just as much as anybody else.
- Exercise. Get in some kind of movement for your body and your brain everyday, be it running, lifting, cycling, playing tag with your kids, or walking the dog. Take care of yourself with movement, so you will have energy to keep taking care of yourself and others as well.
- Get outdoors more. Fresh air can help give you an energy boost and Vitamin D helps boost your mood. Take a little walk outside to clear your head, it can help when you're feeling anxious.
- Put down your electronics and unplug for an hour every day. There is so much happening on the Internet and social media these days, and it is exciting and engaging. But it is also very addicting, so it's important to turn it off and unplug for a while. Focus and do something else. Read a book, chat in person or call a loved one, draw, go for a walk outside, and spend time with the amazing people in your life.
- Spend time alone. Journal. Take a walk. Take a bath. Meditate. Give yourself a few minutes of YOU time.
- Drink more water. This may seem like a simple task, but most of us don't drink enough water. Water is life. Take a water bottle to work that you have to refill, track how many glasses, and just drink more. Bonus: drinking more means you'll have to get up to go to the bathroom more, a great way to make sure you are getting up from your desk regularly.
There are probably many more things we could add to the list, but we hope this initial list gives a few ideas and inspiration to help you take care of yourself a little more each day. Sometimes it's the little things that help us get through each day.
Would you add anything to our list? How do you honor your body with self love and care?